July 17, 2009

Is Ginormous a Medical Term?


Today was the long awaited ENT appointment for both boys, and apart from lasting over two hours, the appointment went great!!

Trent was seen for his enormous tonsils and potential sleep apnea. The doctor said that on a scale of 1-4 (four being absolutely enormous), his tonsils were indeed a 4! So I have homework - to listen for certain things while Trent sleeps. If we hear those things, we'll have to get his tonsils/adenoids out. If I don't hear those things, then we'll do a sleep study to see if there is still a sleep obstruction. If his tonsils are to come out, they can do it before school starts in the fall! Good timing!

Chase had his hearing tested and passed the test again! 75% of those with Down syndrome have hearing loss, so it is great to know that Chase is looking good in this arena. Chase's ears were also free from fluid, which is great as fluid can lead to temporary hearing loss. Because Chase will be susceptible to fluid and wax buildup in his ears due to the tiny ear canals associated with Down syndrome, we will be visiting the ENT on a periodic basis, with the next appointment being in three months. Loss of hearing, even minor loss, can greatly impact language development and learning, so we will be paying close attention to all of this!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!!!!! I just wanted to let you know I just added your blog to our blogroll on GIFTS.

    My little girl had huge tonsils also, and she had them out at the age of 7 years old and what a huge change in her sleep apnea [her ENT said her apnea was one of the most severe he had seen in a long time]

    I would say that I endorse the T&A if that is the path you have to travel.

    Chase [and Trent] are both adorable and I hope you don't mind, but I would like to add your blog to my blogroll on my daughters site as well.

    Peace and love, Tara Maire [aka. Emma Sage's Momma]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a great doctor. Took my son to the doctor for his checkup and he spent no kidding, maybe three minutes before trying to walk out. I stopped him to ask him questions so he was there another two minutes before leaving.

    So frustrating.

    All the best to you.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete