October 8, 2009

Grief and A Woman Called Job

For those parents of kids with Down syndrome, grief is not a new topic of thought. Although we are so lucky to be blessed with wonderful children, an unexpected prenatal or postnatal diagnosis of Down syndrome (or just about any unexpected and life-altering diagnosis) can be jolting. We get over it, and we fall desperately in love with our children, but there are the usual stages of shock, anger, fear, sadness, and eventually acceptance. For some of us, those stages take longer to pass through than others. Just because we experience grief doesn't mean we love our children any less. Grief is more about us, our emotions and expectations, and how to process or handle the unexpected news.

I don't know how many people are familiar with the writer and speaker Nancy Guthrie, but I only just discovered her website and her articles. Two of her children were diagnosed with a rare genetic condition and eventually passed away. Although Down syndrome is not part of her story, her description of grief was powerful. Even more powerful was her ability to handle her grief in a positive way and her use of that experience to influence others around her.

Take a look at this article about Nancy Guthrie - click here. And if you appreciate her words as much as I did, there are many writings by and about her on her website - here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. What a woman. When my daughter was dying, my faith was challenged and I would have given anything to talk to a Christian who had been there. As I have written on my blog, I felt as though I were being smelted. It was so hard to reconcile my feelings about God and my feelings about what was happening to my child.

    She lived and this is a great blessing to me... but I did not get my answer from Him until I had gone through all the stages of fear, sorrow, anger...etc.

    Nancy has turned her sorrow into a way to minister to others... she is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete