November 10, 2009

Sippy Cup Training Today

Our prompt therapist came this morning with a couple great cups for us to use as we transition Chase from a bottle to cup. He's not the best bottle drinker, and our pediatrician advises all her kids to start transitioning to cups as early as six months. As I've said before (click here for earlier post), I've wanted to be careful about the types of sippy cups we use so we're not promoting tongue thrusting. Using special cups can also teach lip awareness, lip rounding, lip closure, and general oral motor skills. Here are some of the cups she is starting us out on:

  • Nosey Cups (can start trying this at 9 months, but for practical purposes won't be the child's cup until later on)

2 comments:

  1. Hey- what is a prompt therapist??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. My son is tube fed and we are going to start to try some cups. I have picked up Nosey and my therapist is getting the honey bear. Good to know that we are on the right track. You will have to let me know how it goes.:)

    ReplyDelete