November 30, 2009

Vitamin Update: L-Carnitine

For those of you who are tooling around with TNI (Targeted Nutritional Intervention) or vitamin therapy, I thought I'd throw in my two cents about L-Carnitine.

Our occupational therapist mentioned that we might want to try this (and the information I read supported her suggestion) because she knew that Chase was having some trouble with constipation. Babies with Down syndrome have low tone in their inner muscles, which leads to issues such as the constipation. L-Carnitine is an amino acid which helps build up the little muscles inside the body, so it can aid with this.

I gave L-Carnitine at the recommended dosage to both Chase (who would turn deep red in the face when working on a diaper) and to Trent (who would have lots of pain when trying to "go"). After four months or so of taking L-Carnitine, Chase no longer has any trouble making dirty diapers and his face does not change colors. Trent is also doing worlds better - he no longer has pain when he does his "business" and no longer resists doing his business in the potty.

Although this could be a result of time passing, I really do feel like the L-Carnitine helped because of the huge reversal in the boys' problems! We're still going to hang on to our bottle of Miralax just in case we have future problems, but this vitamin seemed to do the trick for us!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My little one does have constipation. I am also looking at Nutri Chem( I am in Canada) for him as well. I am going to see if it is in the formulations. Thanks

    ReplyDelete