February 15, 2010

From Ok to Good

When Chase was first born and I called one of the members of our church to ask for prayer, she said simply and lovingly that things would be ok. She did not say that lightly, or to be cliche. She meant that God was in control, that things would not end up too much for us to handle, that all our worries would in time subside. Throughout the first year of Chase's life, I have hung on to those simple words, reminding myself that everything is truly ok - that it's ok that Chase has Down syndrome. This past Sunday, however, I found some words that were even more inspiring...

I love seeing God's hand direct what we do. For no reason at all, I decided to bring Chase to the sanctuary to sit with me in church instead of letting him play in the nursery. I never do this, but since he had just been getting over pneumonia (and I didn't mind a little extra cuddling with him...), I decided to keep him with me. At the same time, a new couple in the church had invited their family to visit - including their 15 year old grandson with Down syndrome. If Chase had not been with me that day, we would not have automatically been given an introduction, but this family saw us slip into the pew behind them and they were thrilled to meet Chase. Another one of the grandsons asked me if Chase had DS, and I told him he did. The brother with Down syndrome, upon hearing that, simply looked at Chase and said sincerely and with a smile: "Good!"

Wow! This boy with Down syndrome, who has gone through all his fifteen years "dealing" with the implications of being "different" and having to work hard to achieve what others find so easy... he thought it was GOOD that Chase had Down syndrome! It sounded just like what I know God would have said upon seeing Chase be born - he would have looked at his creation and would have said that it was good. I know that Chase was "fearfully and wonderfully made". I know that God makes no mistakes. I know that Chase was part of God's plan, and even know that his Down syndrome was part of God's good and perfect plan.... but until this boy uttered that simple response, I had simply thought that it was "ok" that Chase had Down syndrome. I had not been operating with the continual perspective that Chase's Down syndrome was a good and beneficial thing.

It really is ok that Chase has Down syndrome. But more than that, it is good that he has Down syndrome. And that fact gives me so much hope and brings me so much happiness!

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Bennett, just like has Chase, has a purpose and God made no mistakes in creating our boys!! They are perfect and just how God wanted them to be. I love Chase's sweet smile! Such a beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! Truly, the BEST thing I've read in a good while. :) I have no words to communicate how very much this blessed me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he is (very) good! My sweet LO is 3 months old and I really enjoy your blog -- thanks!
    Anna (3 daughters, 9, 7, 2 and a son, Jacob, 11/13/09, T21)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post Mer, it truly brought tears to my eyes. I know that God knew what he was doing when he made Chase but I also know that he knew what he was doing when he picked you to be his wonderful mother. I could not think of a more amazing, patient, kindhearted woman to nurture such a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been really enjoying reading your blog and seeing the beautiful pictures of your boys. You and Scott are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I linked this to my blog. Hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and so true. Our children are good, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tara for the link! Made my night! Great post, Mer!

    "It is well" and yes it is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful moment! This is my first time to your blog and when I saw your blog description at the top I knew I had to scroll through. There's a family that has a child at my middle daughter's school and they have a younger child with DS. I was so impressed with the way she talked about raising him and that he wasn't treated any differently than their oldest because they didn't want him held back because of their (the parent's) fears or whatever.

    Hearing you say you're having those moments is wonderful because it makes me think that another parent who had to come to terms with a non-mainstream child has fully accepted and come to peace with their child's diagnosis. I know your sweet baby (he is sooooo cute as is big brother) will feel your love and know that everything about him is good!

    ReplyDelete