June 26, 2012

Sipping and Sleeping

It's been six months, and no improvement in the baby's sleeping. We're still at every three hours - some nights baby girl wakes up even more frequently. On top of that, she's not taking a bottle. So.... I picked up the Moms on Call Guide to see what hints I should be trying before I give up and call for them to come out for a consultation. I remember using this six years ago with Trent, and it was very helpful. The sleeplessness is getting a bit much at this point.




Moms On Call recommends using an adult white noise machine (specifically Conair Sound Therapy) to help the baby sleep through the night. So far, we've been using our humidifier as a sound machine, but may have to switch as it may not be loud enough to do the trick.


It amazes me that Caroline can be the most well-behaved, happy and content little baby for practically the whole day, and yet be so stubborn in regards to sleeping and the bottle... I guess she knows to pick her battles and make everyone melt with her sweetness the rest of the time!


Where do you moms go to for your top make-baby-eat & make-baby-sleep resources? I'd love to hear what you've found to be helpful!


Jellibean Journals**Update - Want to hear how it turned out? Click HERE to read about the success (spoiler alert: 2 nights of sleeping through the night so far... loving moms on call!)

9 comments:

  1. I use this noise machine: http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SS-2000-Relaxation-Machine-Nature/dp/B000F3QG0U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340750006&sr=8-4&keywords=noise+machine

    It is the loudest for the money - has different sounds - and all 3 of my kids sleep soundly with them.

    If she is not taking consistent naps during the day, the nighttime can be difficult because they are so tired they don't rest as well. I learned that if I could get my kiddos to nap well during the day, the nighttime followed.

    I also use blackout curtains for nap times.

    Blessings to you!
    Hang in there and whatever you decide to do, stay consistent - that is the key!

    :) Janiene

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi from the gfc hop!

    visit nichollvincent.blogspot.com

    have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a lot of the information out of the Babywhisperer books and forums and found it to be really useful with both boys. http://www.babywhispererforums.com/ I can try to remember specifics if you want them. :) Hopefully this helps! I know it can be frustrating and TIRING. Praying that your little lady will settle down and sleep peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve didn't sleep through a night till he was over 3. I was exhausted. Om didn't like the let him cry plan, but of course, I was the one who had to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am over from the MMM link up. I am following you via GFC. I second the Homedics sound spa white noise machine. It makes a world of difference in my son't sleep habits. I read the Sleeping through the Night book and used some of it. But I think it was just an age thing with my son. He still doesn't sleep through the night most nights, but can soothe himself back to sleep so at least I don't have to get up.

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Jellibean journal linky party.
    I actually wrote a post on these about 2 weeks ago...with tips, and book reference. I hope you find it helpful. If you have any questions at all or if I can be of further help, you can leave me a comment or find me on fb!!! Also, I'm not sure where you live?? but, may I also suggest you google CT Down Syndrome Congress. I'm a past special ed teacher, have used this resource, and been to their conferences to learn more for my students...absolutely incredible resourece as parent/teacher. I'm a new blogger with a few upcoming topics on Spec. Ed., also open to suggestions for topics within this area!!
    Blessings!
    Michy
    http://www.lovingourjourney.com/2012/06/19/napping-tips/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I am stopping over from MMM and what we have used to help our little one get to sleep is consistency with bedtime routine. We do bath time after dinner, read in her room, and she is down by 7:30...sometimes she plays in her crib for up to an hour, but she is content! Hope you stop over sometime!

    xo, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also here from MMM--I don't have any good advice, just feeling your pain. After going through it with two not-good sleepers, I can honestly attest to the fact that it's hard now, but does get better. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I certainly hope that those two nights have multiplied by now. This is a real toughie. I can't say it's the right solution for everyone, but at 5 months we decided to let our baby cry at night. She was only waking once by then, so for the first few nights she'd cry a couple of minutes, then my husband would go in and tell her night-night and calm her a bit. He stayed no longer than about 2 minutes. I never went so she wouldn't see the food source and want to eat. After a few days the crying shortened to less than 20 minutes after daddy's visit. Then we stopped the visits altogether and in less than a week she was an all-nighter. Thanks so much for linking up last week. Sorry it took me a long time to get here and comment.

    ReplyDelete