August 2, 2012

Guess What We're Starting?

Yup - we're starting some real deal hard core potty training at our household! Chase is three and a half and will sometimes tell me when he has gone potty in his diaper and sometimes will ask me to change his diaper. A few times he has told me before he has gone potty in his diaper and I have swung him quickly into the bathroom and caught things in time. So I think it's time.

With school starting on Monday, I'm going to just make the commitment and make an hourly trip to the potty part of our at-home routine. I'll be setting my phone to alert me each hour so I don't get distracted - it'll keep me accountable by beeping at me! I'm going to try buying some training pants (see photo) - as in the washable cotton underwear that has a little plastic inside to give you time to get to the potty and will keep him off our carpet!

I'm told this can be one of the most challenging and frustrating adventures of special needs parenting, so let's hope for the best and pray that I can exude patience throughout this adventure!!

If any special needs mommas out there have tips, leave me a comment and let me know!

2 comments:

  1. We are about to embark on this adventure with Emily too! My hubby attended the potty training break-out session at the DS convention last month and I'll leave you with the big take-aways that he noted...

    -Use the regular potty with an adapted seat for generalization (when you go somewhere else it will be easier for them to assimilate the task) They recommended the baby bjorn seat and one you can get from home depot that hooks onto the potty and you don't have to take it off for other people to use the same toilet.

    -only let them flush and wash their hands if they actually do go potty

    -have a routine for what to do when they have an accident like showing them where the accident happened then walk them to the toilet and do it a few times (I guess the idea was to delay the playing)

    I have no idea if any of this will help because we haven't successfully potty-trained Emily but they seemed helpful to me ;-)

    Wishing you lots of patience! If you come up with any tips that work, please share with me I could use all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a challenge, but I know you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete