Guess who didn't get sick? That's right - Scott - the one person who didn't get his flu shot! How does that always happen!
I've seen a lot of articles about how to get over the flu and wish I had stumbled across them before we all got sick! Here are some links for the rest of you if you need it!
- Hot Toddy Cold Remedy - heat the following in the microwave: 2 oz whiskey, 1 tbsp honey, 4 oz. hot water, and 1 tsp lemon juice
- Oregano Tea is good for headaches and stomachaches, and can also work as a sleep aid. If you can't find this tea at your local health foods store, pour hot water over 1 tsp dried oregano and add sweetener water over 1 tsp. of dried oregano. Apparently oregano has antibiotic properties (here) and farmers are now using it instead of antibiotics on their livestock.
- Peppermint Oil for Fever (We used this for Trent when his fever hit 103.7 and he couldn't stomach any tylenol!) - Put a couple drops on the bottoms of your feet
- Peppermint Oil and/or Eucalyptus Oil - Rub on chest and soles of your feet to open up your chest - this works great with babies who can't take cold medicine, but also works for adults. This is the original version of the Vicks Vapor Rub!
- Honey - add to hot tea or hot water to soothe sore throats
- Dark Chocolate is good for your cough and overall wellness
- Make Your Own Cough / Sore Throat Syrup using items in your pantry - Recipe Here.
- Gargle salt water or mouthwash
- One article I read actually said that chicken noodle soup was effective in fighting the flu! Who knew that was actually true!
Want to know what won't work for you? Relying on the flu shot by itself, large amounts of vitamin C or using anti-bacterial sanitizer won't give you much relief from the flu according to one article. And I can safely agree with the fact that the flu shot won't necessarily give you any protection - four people in my family got the flu shot and all of us got the flu just the same!